Responsible tour operator
Tourism is world-renowned for the impact it can have on destinations. Pure Breaks believes in the power of responsible tourism, through which the recognition of tourism’s impact that can be used to the advantage of destinations. Promoting local social and environmental causes, engaging with cultural heritage, and seeking out authentic experiences are just some of the tenets of responsible tourism that ensure the impact on destinations is actively positive. In practice, this means working with responsible tour operators on location.
What is a tour operator?
A tour operator is a person or company that facilitates, thinks up, researches and designs holiday itineraries and contents. They organise everything from airport transfers to safari guides, and lunch in between. Building holidays from scratch, often in remote or unexplored locations, local and expert tour operators are a key part in the Pure Breaks mission to send people on their holiday of a lifetime!
What is a responsible tour operator?
Rather than focusing on profit margins, cutting corners and bulk bookings at generic large resorts, a responsible tour operator:
- Makes efforts to minimise all negative economic, social and environmental effects
- Facilitates the involvement and employment of local people, and enhances their well-being
- Takes active role in the conservation of the local environment and local culture and history
- Acts with cultural sensitivity and respect towards the local community, and builds respect between the community and travellers
- Provides tourists with meaningful and authentic experiences, and engages them in local social, cultural, and environmental issues
- Is transparent about their actions, what they impact and how they conduct themselves
Source: Sustaining Tourism
Pure Breaks as a responsible tour operator
Pure Breaks’ mission is to provide you with your dream holiday, helping you to explore all the world has to offer, yet taking care of it as you go. We choose independent accommodations that hire from the local community, and are engaged in local environmental and educational programmes. You get authentic, culturally rich experiences within the beating heart of real communities and get to help make positive impacts to their important causes. All Pure Breaks holidays centre around the idea that the people you visit should benefit just as much from your adventure as you do!